APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED: April 30, 2018
Project SEE [Supported Employment Experience]
A summer internship program for Wake County high school age students with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities currently enrolled in the Occupational Course of Study program that helps students to:
- Earn Occupational Course of Study [OCS] high school credit
- Enhance job skills that can lead to long term employment for many
- Receive training and support at every job site
Project SEE (Supported Employment Experience) gives students the opportunity to develop or enhance their social skills and gain valuable work experience through a 6 week summer program while earning 135 hours of competitive employment towards their OCS graduation requirements.
The Project SEE Program Director and Admissions Committee will assess the eligibility of each student who submits an application. To determine eligibility, the Supported Employment Director will review documentation of the student’s disability, verify OCS credit needs and interview the student with his/her parent or caregiver. Priority for selection is given to eligible students who are aging out of the school system and who require at least 135 credit hours towards graduation.
Students eligible for Project SEE are those who:
- are between the ages of 17 and 22 and have mild to moderate developmental disabilities.
- demonstrate emerging vocational skills and the ability to engage in purposeful activity.
- want to learn to work in the community and have families/caregivers who are supportive of their participation in Project SEE.
- have or can arrange for their own transportation to and from the job site.
- need on-site support on the job in order to work in the community.
- are able to work in a public job site in a ratio of 2 students to 1 job trainer.
- have personal care skills and behaviors which can be accommodated at a public job site.
- have the health status and availability to commit to the full 6 weeks. Vacations and summer camps are not to be scheduled during the 6 week program.
- have the stamina and physical ability to work 4.5 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Students must be available to work the entire 6 weeks. Students who have vacations or summer camps scheduled during the program are not eligible.
Students must commit to the entire 6 week program. Missing more than three days without a doctor’s note will result in immediate dismissal from the program with no refunds of paid fees. No exceptions.
- Students accepted to the program are matched to jobs based on interest, location and abilities. We strive to keep students within a 20 minute drive of their homes
- Families are responsible for transportation to and from the job site daily.
- Families will pay a $200 program fee (which includes the $30 application fee) that is due upon acceptance in to the program. For information on payment plans or to apply for a scholarship, speak to someone in Supported Employment.
*Completed applications are to be mailed or hand delivered to The Arc of the Triangle, 5121 Hollyridge Dr., Suite 100, Raleigh, NC 27612, no later than April 30, 2018 along with the $30.00 application fee. The application fee is non-refundable and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Program dates: June 25 - August 3, 2018 (July 4th is a holiday)
Students work 9:00 am -2:00 pm Monday - Friday with a half hour break.
Mandatory Meeting (Students, Parents, and Job Coaches): June 21, 2018
End of Program Celebration: August 3, 2018
Call 919-942-5119 x133
or email Susan Swearingen